How to fix Windows Error 0x80070002: Microsoft backed Windows operating system for PC is one of the most popular and widely used operating systems for PC. Billions of people across the globe prefer Windows operating system as it is both stable as well as pocket-friendly. Though Windows operating system usually provides a decent performance to its end users, there are few instances where users have reported some sort of glitches, especially while updating Windows.
Earlier we had talked about a number of such Windows-specific issues such as The Remote Procedure Call Failed error, Windows Error 0xc000021a, Windows Update Error 0x80070652 and many more. So we have dealt with such error in past and this is not something which is completely new for us. We have enough experience to fix such Windows-specific issues.
Also Read: Windows Freezes Randomly: How to Fix
In this article, we are going to talk about one such error, that is, Windows Error 0x80070002. Large numbers of users have reported facing Windows Error 0x80070002 when they were trying to install System updates. This code comes within a dialogue box with a message saying:
Windows could not search for new updates
An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Code 80070002.
Since you have come up to this point of the article, we are assuming that you are also suffering from the Windows update error code 0x80070002. In such a case you need not worry. Just keep calm because we are here to rescue. In this article, we will be giving you the root cause as well as the full proof methods to get rid of Windows Update error 0x80070002 once and for all. So just follow along and by the end of this article, you will be able to install system updates for sure.
WHAT CAUSES WINDOWS ERROR 0x80070002
There can be a number of reasons for this error code to pop up. Most common causes are:
- Incorrect Date and Time settings on your PC.
- Corrupted Files on your system.
- Registry problem.
- PC unable to transmit all files during the update.
- The system fails to update certain files.
All these are very common and these are not too tough to fix. We can easily get rid of this error by simply following the methods given below. So let us not waste any more time further and jump directly to the methods given below to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070002.
HOW TO FIX WINDOWS ERROR 0x80070002
In this section, we will be providing a lot of methods to fix the error code 0x80070002. You can opt for any method as per your convenience. However, we recommend you to go step by step starting from method 1.
METHOD 1: RECTIFY DATE AND TIME SETTING
Incorrect date and time setting on your system can cause Windows Update Error 0x80070002 to pop up. So, here we will try to make sure we have the right settings to get rid of this annoying issue. Simply follow the steps given below to rectify date and time settings on your system.
- Click on the Date and Time on the lower left corner of your system.
- Now click on Change date and time settings option.
- This will bring you to Date and Time settings page. Go to Internet Time tab and make sure you check the option for Synchronize time with an Internet time server.
- Now restart your system and try installing the system updates. Hopefully, you should not get this error now.
However, if you are still getting this error, then try to implement the next method.
METHOD 2: USE SYSTEM FILE CHECKER TO REMOVE CORRUPTED SYSTEM FILES
Windows operating system comes up with a built-in command called sfc (System File Checker), which when combines with an option scannow can fix corrupted system files on your system. The command sfc scannow basically scans your entire system for suspicious system files and dll files and replaces them with the latest and correct ones.
We have developed a step by step guide to fix Windows Error 0x80070002 using sfc scannow command. Click on the link given below to access this guide.
Simply follow the steps given in this guide and you will be good to go.
METHOD 3: DELETE WINDOWS UPDATE FILES
Follow the steps given below to remove Windows update files from your PC:
- Go to Control Panel and click on Administrative Tools.
- Now double-click on Services that will open the list of available services.
- Scroll down to search for Windows Update service. Right click on it and click on stop option.
- Now go to C:\Windows and look for SoftwareDistribution folder. Either rename this folder or delete it. We recommend you to rename this folder.
- Again go back to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Search for Windows Update service again and right click on it to Start the service.
- Restart your system and try installing the system updates. Check if the error still persists.
METHOD 4: TRY TROUBLESHOOTING USING WINDOWS TROUBLESHOOTER
Microsoft provides a free troubleshooter along with the Windows operating system. Just follow the steps given below to troubleshoot the system to find any issues and fix them.
- Find the specific Windows Troubleshooter on Microsoft’s support page by clicking here. You will find the troubleshooter for Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Choose one as per the operating system you have.
- Once it is downloaded, run the wu.diagcab file. Now follow the wizard step by step.
- Now the troubleshooter will take some time to scan the entire system and report the errors, if any, at the end.
So, these were the few methods to get rid of Windows update Error 0x80070002. Hope you liked this article on How to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070002. In case you find yourself into trouble while implementing the methods given above or even if you are stuck somewhere, feel free to reach out to us via comments or Contact Us page. We will try to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Thanks.